Shop Indie Online

I was recently interviewed by Chris from shopindieonline.com and the article was posted today HERE. I've re-posted the text below:

FEATURED INDIE ARTIST INTERVIEW WITH PAUL OF PAUL RICHMOND STUDIO

Time to meet this week’s featured indie artist Paul of Paul Richmond Studio.

SI: Please tell us a little about yourself.
Paul: I am an artist whose paintings explore everything from personal narrative to pop culture, with some political commentary and the occasional pin-up boy thrown in for good measure. From an early age, I was taught that art could be more than a hobby. My fabulous childhood mentor made it very clear that it could also be a completely viable career option, and I haven’t looked back since! My work has been exhibited in galleries across the country, as well as some “less traditional” venues such as the Tammy Faye memorial celebration, an exhibit in Hollywood honoring Dolly Parton, and another curated by RuPaul. I have also had paintings licensed for greeting cards, concert merchandise, novel covers, and art anthologies. I am definitely a dreamer — I wake up every day with new ideas (and the occasional crazy scheme). Then I get to work figuring out how to make them happen…

SI: What is the name of your business? And what do you create?
Paul: My website is called Paul Richmond Studio (www.paulrichmondstudio.com). It includes a link to my Etsy store (www.paulypants.etsy.com) where you’ll find original oil and acrylic paintings, giclee prints, and T-shirts based on my artwork. I’m also offering copies of my recent book, “Ins & Outs, A Collection,” which showcases some of my most personal paintings.

SI: What inspires you?
Paul: Currently, I can’t get enough of pop surrealist Isabel Samaras’ work, and I’m eternally in awe of my friend, Melissa Forman, whose intricate, haunting paintings leave me speechless. (No easy feat!) I’m also a fan of James Rosenquist, Kehinde Wiley, Mark Ryden, Oksana Badrak, and David LaChapelle, to name a few. A fellow Columbus artist/advocate, Jim Arter, is a personal hero of mine who has been incredibly encouraging, and I couldn’t give enough credit to Linda Regula, my childhood mentor, whose inspiration made all the difference. My biggest muses are undoubtedly my family and friends, especially my amazing partner, Dennis (who frequently pops up in my work), and my parents and sister whose love and support is deeply ingrained. Oh, and last but not least – my favorite divas, Dolly Parton and Cher, deserve a mention too!

SI: What is the best thing about what you do? And the worst?
Paul: My favorite thing about the artistic process is how it always keeps you on your toes. I was introduced to oil painting when I was three years old, and twenty six years later I feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface of what I hope to learn and accomplish with my work. Each new painting has its own challenges and opportunities, and I’m never bored when I’m at my easel. I’m also really grateful for the incredible connections I’ve made with others – people who have seen my paintings in an exhibit or on my website and feel that it depicts something personal to them.

I suppose the worst part about what I do would be navigating the power structure of the art world. For my fellow artists reading this, I recommend the book “How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist” by Caroll Michels. She does a great job of de-mystifying our profession, and suggesting ways to approach a market often dominated by “experts” with their own agendas. I agree with her philosophy that our greatest strength comes from banding together with other artists rather than seeing them as competition, and I’ve been so pleasantly surprised by the warm response I’ve received from reaching out to those who inspire me.

SI: When not creating, what do you like to do?
Paul: I tend to keep busy and have a hard time relaxing, but I’ll always make an exception when Dennis has free time from his graduate schoolwork to lay by the pool or take in a movie. Otherwise, I can usually be found studying other peoples’ art somewhere, teaching painting and drawing classes, or planning excursions, adventures, and collaborations of one kind or another.

SI: Any future plans you care to share with us?
Paul: I’m currently working on a triptych called “Pin-Up Payback” for an upcoming exhibit at the Veaux Gallery in Chelsea. It features heartthrobs Justin Timberlake, Zac Efron, and Robert Pattinson caught in classic, underwear-exposing pin-up predicaments while 50’s-era cheesecake girls look on admiringly from windows and doorways in the background. Additionally, I’m working on paintings for a solo exhibition at the Center on Halsted Gallery in Chicago next June and a new painting series called “Lily White and the Seven Divas” which puts an unexpected twist on the story of Snow White.

Many thanks to Paul for sharing so graciously of himself and his art. Please take a few minutes to visit Paul’s etsy shop and website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saving His Ass Cheesecake Boy Coloring Page